We cannot wait for our new exhibit, Blacktip Reef, to open in summer of 2013! This coral-filled exhibit, replicating an Indo-Pacific ocean habitat, will feature 15 exciting species including blacktip reef sharks, reticulated whiptail rays, and ornate wobbegong sharks. It will also be the new home for some of our most beloved animals, including our 400-pound green sea turtle Calypso, and zebra sharks Zeke and Zoe. Guests will be able to experience this lively reef from many vantage points, including a new floor-to-ceiling pop-out viewing window that allows you to virtually step inside the exhibit.
It’s a long journey to opening day. Between animal transports, exhibit demolition, new construction, and habitat fabrication, as well as the acquisition of new animals, we’ll have a lot to update you on leading up to next summer. As we continue to build the future home of Blacktip Reef, stay tuned to learn about new changes here on our WATERblog!
Our teams have been busy all over the Aquarium preparing for Blacktip Reef! Animal care is our number one priority, so one of the biggest jobs is caring for the animals that will soon be added to the new exhibit.
Beginning in summer 2013, guests will be able to see new animals like blacktip reef sharks, reticulated whiptail rays, ornate wobbegong sharks and napoleon wrasse!
The namesake animal of the new exhibit, the blacktip reef shark, is a smaller shark species that can grow to about 6 feet in length and bears distinctive black tips on its fins. Blacktip reef sharks are found in the shallow waters of the Indo-Pacific, hanging around reefs to feed. These sharks are sleek, beautiful, fast-moving, and hunt cooperatively in groups.
Blacktip reef shark
These facinating new species will be joined by some of National Aquarium’s most beloved animals, including Calypso, our 400-pound green sea turtle, and zebra sharks Zeke and Zoe!
Watch this video to learn more about the amazing animals that will be living in Blacktip Reef:
Below are some of the other amazing species that will be joining our Blacktip Reef family!
- Blotched fantail ray (Taeniurops)
- Blacktip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus)
- Bluefin trevally (Caranx melampygus)
- Bluestripe seaperch (Lutjanus kasmira)
- Clown triggerfish (Balistoides conspicillum)
- Emperor angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator)
- Green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas))
- Reticulate whipray (Himantura uarnak)
- Napoleon wrasse (Cheilinus undulatus)
- Ornate wobbegong (Orectolobus ornatus)
- Tasselled wobbegong (Eucrossorhinus dasypogon)
- Potato cod (Epinephelus tukula)
- Semicircle angelfish (Pomacanthus semicirculatus)
- Spotted unicornfish (Naso brevirostris)
- Zebra shark (Stegostoma fasciatum)
Stay tuned for more Blacktip Reef updates!