Australia Day is a major holiday in Australia – a special day to honor the country’s rich cultural history and lush environment! You don’t have to live down under to participate, though. In fact, you can be right here in Maryland!
Our annual Australia Day celebration at the National Aquarium is TOMORROW!
Can’t wait until tomorrow? Here’s a sneak peek at one of the fun activities we have planned for the event!
DIY Craft: Recycled Boomerang
- Cereal boxes/any rectangular pieces of cardboard
- Boomerang stencil
- Permanent markers
Instructions (makes four boomerangs):
- Print the boomerang stencil.
- Cut out the boomerang shape.
- Cut out the front and back sides of the cereal box and lay them down on a flat surface.
- Trace the boomerang shape twice onto each panel.
- Cut the boomerang shapes out and decorate them with permanent markers!
- To fly your boomerangs: grasp one of the blades between your thumb and index finger and use a sidearm motion. Applying more spin to the boomerang will cause it to fly longer and make a more complete arc when it returns.
Don’t forget to join us tomorrow in Baltimore for Australia Day! Our celebration includes fun activities, animal encounters and much more!