With temperatures rising, it’s tempting to turn up the air conditioning to stay cool. We have some better ideas that won’t hurt your wallet and will help keep our environment healthy:
- Go to the local farmers market – Fresh food is always good, but it is especially refreshing when it’s hot out and you want to stay cool. Go to your local farmers market and get fresh veggies and fruit. It will be a fun outing and you’ll be supporting your local markets.
- Plant some trees – Planting trees near your house is not only good for the environment, but they provide shade to keep your house cool. This could lower your electric bill and help save the environment at the same time!
- Go somewhere with air conditioning – When it gets too hot to bear, take advantage of a place with air conditioning so you don’t have to run your air at home. A library or grocery store will keep you cool and you’ll be able to do some shopping or relax with a good book.
- Make some BBQ! – Invite over family and friends and grill out instead of using your oven. Using the grill will save you on your energy cost and also keep the heat of cooking outside and not in your kitchen.
- Drink the right water – Drinking water is refreshing when it’s hot and you’re thirsty, but using plastic bottled water is bad for the environment. Get some re-usable water bottles, fill them up with tap or filtered water, and stick them in the fridge or freezer. You’ll have a nice, cool drink waiting for you when it gets too hot, and it will also be environmentally friendly!
Got an favorite eco-friendly ways to beat the heat? Share them with us in the comments section!