Published April 16, 2014
Conservation , Green Tips , National Aquarium , News
Tags: Conservation, DIY, diy craft, DIY tips, earth day, earth mosaic, eco craft, eco-friendly crafts, eco-friendly living, green tips, kid-friendly crafts
Join us on April 19-20 for our weekend-long Earth Day celebration!
Experts will teach guests how to celebrate Earth Day every day by bringing green practices into their daily lives, and will demonstrate how human action can positively or negatively impact the environment and animals like those in the care of the National Aquarium. In addition to fun interactive activities and educational workshops taking place throughout the Aquarium, our celebration will also include some eco-friendly DIY crafts!
Can’t wait until this weekend to make some fun crafts? Try creating this mosaic earth decoration:
What you will need:
- Recycled CD
- Piece of yarn (for hanging your creation)
- Glue Stick
- Blue, green, white and brown paper – use cut-outs from recycled magazines, tissue paper or construction paper
- Begin with the blue (for the ocean) – use the glue stick to make sections of the CD sticky where you want the “ocean”, then place the blue paper onto the glue. Overlap the edges. When the ocean is completed, repeat these steps with the green and brown for the “land”. Lastly, add a few of the white paper to represent clouds.
- Flip the completed earth over and trim the excess paper from around the edges.
- Fold the yarn into a loop and tape it to the back of your Earth for hanging.
- Hang it and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite DIY craft? Share it with us in the comments section!
Published October 22, 2013
National Aquarium , News
Tags: aquarium events, DIY, diy crafts, diy halloween crafts, eco-friendly crafts, halloween, halloween at the auqarium, halloween diys, hallowmarine, national aquarium
On Saturday, October 26, and Sunday, October 27, National Aquarium will be celebrating Hallowmarine!
In addition to fun activities like a scare-venger hunt (see what we did there?) and creepy-crawly animal encounters taking place throughout the Aquarium, our celebration will also include some eco-friendly DIY crafts!
Can’t wait until this weekend to make some fun Halloween crafts? Try some of our favorites at home!
- An old t-shirt
- Peel ‘n’ stick fabric adhesive
- Lay your t-shirt down on a flat surface. Using the seams as your guide, cut off the sleeves and neck of the t-shirt.
- Place a long strip of fabric adhesive along the bottom seam of the shirt’s back.
- Using your fingers, seal the front and back of the shirt.
- On the front of your sealed shirt, use the paint and glitter to create whatever spook-tacular design your heart desires! Our team went for the classic jack-o-lantern look!
- An old mason jar
- Glue or decoupage
- Paint brush
- Tissue paper
- Black permanent marker
- Tea candle or LED candle
- First, it’s important to make sure that the glass of your mason jar is clear of any paper or plastic coverings.
- Either rip or cut small strips of tissue paper. Set aside.
- Using your paintbrush, apply a thin layer of glue or decoupage to your jar.
- Apply your strips of tissue paper until your jar is evenly covered.
- Set your covered jar aside to dry.
- Once completely dry, use your permanent markers to draw a ghost face!
Do you have a favorite eco-friendly Halloween craft? Share it with us in the comments!