On Saturday, June 8, and Sunday, June 9, we will be celebrating World Oceans Day at both our Washington, D.C. and Baltimore locations.
At the World Oceans Day celebration, braided bracelets will be offered to take home as souvenirs. The bracelets were created by staff from old uniform shirts! In case you can’t make it to World Oceans Day, or simply want to make more bracelets at home, you can follow a few simple steps that will turn old t-shirts into new accessories!
Here’s how you can make your own bracelet using fabric from an old t-shirt:
- An old t-shirt (or any other stretchy fabric you like)
- Cut three strips of equal width from the bottom of your t-shirt or other choice of fabric. Two of the strips should be about 12 inches long, and the third should be about 14 inches.
- Gather the three strips together and tie them at the top with a knot. Tie them so that the only piece sticking out of the top is the longer strip. Tape the fabric above the knot to a flat surface.
- Start braiding as you would braid hair. Stop braiding when the length of your braid fits comfortably around your wrist.
- Tie another knot at the bottom of the bracelet.
- Cut off the excess length from the two shorter strips, leaving only the longest strip sticking out of the knot.
- Tie the two ends of the bracelet together around your wrist and admire your finished bracelet!
Don’t forget to join us this weekend for ocean-related crafts and activities!