We like to theme our animal enrichments around the holidays A LOT. Not only is it a fun side project for our staff, but also gives us the opportunity to re-purpose and recycle materials that otherwise would have been discarded.
One of our favorite materials to use for these enrichment items is cardboard! This year, we decided to make some special cardboard turkeys for our birds to play with. If not being used by birds to sharpen their beaks, these turkeys also make for some festive decorations!
But these playful turkeys aren’t just for our birds – they are an easy do-it-yourself project for anyone looking for some Thanksgiving craft fun! Follow the instructions below to make your own!
- Cardboard cut into wedges, we used two per turkey
- Popsicle sticks, if you are purchasing these we suggest going for the colored variety
- Wooden beads
- Zip ties
- Permanent marker
- Cut the corners of your cardboard into wedge pieces, varying in size (we kept ours between 3 and 6 inches wide)
- Using your scissors, carefully poke a small hold in the center of each wedge
- Stick your popsicle sticks in the slits of the cardboard, leaving little space in between each stick
- Once your wedges have their “feathers”, use the zip tie to connect the beads and wedges to make the shape of a turkey
- Use your permanent marker to draw eyes on your turkey!
We hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving! Have a favorite Thanksgiving-themed craft? Tell us in the comments!