We are committed to conservation and we strive to live our mission to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures, in everything we do. Today, on America Recycles Day, we are happy to share with you some of the many ways our dedicated team’s hard work is paying off!
GREEN is in the numbers:
- 20.24 tons of organic materials were collected for composting
- 45.72 tons of single-stream recycling were diverted from landfills
- 2,135 pounds of technotrash and eCycling were diverted from landfills
- 3.3 megawatts of electricity were saved thanks to energy efficiency upgrades to the lighting and water pump systems throughout our buildings
In addition to our bigger programs, Aquarium staff are always thinking of new ways to reduce, reuse, recycle and repurpose materials for our everyday tasks! Our Animal Programs team is especially clever and has made numerous enrichment materials from used items!
- Paper towel tubes as puzzle feeders for birds
- Old phone books for our birds to shred
- Used gift cards to open reptile mouths for medical exams
- And much more…the list is endless!
We invite you to use today’s celebration to adopt some easy recycling practices:
- Take the America Recycles Day pledge!
(It’s never too early to get started on those New Year’s resolutions!)
- Make it a family affair!
Kick your new pledge into high-gear by sharing your commitment with your family/friends/community.
- Discover new ways to recycle!
We are a big fan of TerraCycle’s brigades , who collect previously non-recyclable or hard to recycle waste. Send your hard to recycle items off to TerraCycle and they will appropriately recycle for you!
- Get crafty!
Before you throw away that old pair of socks, t-shirt, book, cork, plastic milk jug or plastic water bottle check out these fun DIY crafts. They are easy (and cheap) ways to get a little more life out of these products.
Those are just a few ideas – we’d love to learn some new ones! What are YOUR favorite ways to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and/or Repurpose?