In the spirit of this upcoming weekend full of Hallowmarine fun, we’re sharing some of our team’s favorite eco-friendly, decoration ideas! Not only are these decorations a great way to use recyclable materials, they are also more cost-effective than buying traditional decorations AND the steps are simple, making this a great project for families to do together!
- cheesecloth or old fabric cut into a 12″ x 12″ square
- an old tree ornament (preferably a clear globe)
- a glow stick (optional)**
- a permanent marker
1. Draw two large oval eyes on the ornament with permanent marker.
2. If using a glowstick, activate it and place it inside the ornament. We used a shorter, thicker glow stick like this one, but the thinner variety work as well!
3. Cover the lit ornament with your fabric, if you are using an old sheet, make sure it has a small hole cut in the center of the square to fasten the string to the ornament.
4. Attach string to the ornament’s top hook and hang your ghost! These make great outdoor ornaments for trees and look great on banisters or doorways.
**Stick your activated glow sticks in the freezer to keep them glowing longer!
- a cracker or cereal box**
- old white fabric such as sheets or pillowcases
- googly eyes or eyes drawn onto scrap paper
- tape and/or hot glue
1. Tear the fabric into strips approximately three inches wide
2. Wrap the strips around the box, securing with tape or tying them together (as seen above), until the entire box is completely covered!
3. Attach the eyes to the top half of your box mummy!
**If you use an empty box, you’ll want to put something in the bottom as a weight so your mummies don’t tip over!
Milk Gallon Ghost
- Plastic milk jugs (washed out)
- Permanent Marker
- A glowstick (optional)
1. Make sure your gallon is washed out and completely dry
2. Cut off the top of the milk jug, making an approximate six inch hole
3. Draw a ghoulish face on the front facet of the milk jug, opposite sides of the handle
4. Activate the glow stick and drop it in!